Friday, July 25, 2008

Race Day!

Race Day! Ok so I entered into a 10k race with a friend from work. She wanted to do it and so asked me to join her. I had never ran that much (6.1 miles) at one time but thought it would be fun to try. I need more adventure in my life so this was perfect.
I started running in March of this year. At that time I couldn't even do 1 mile straight through. Pathetic I know, I was lazy but needed to get out and get into shape. I worked up to running a 5k (3.2 miles) in April and May. It was great the first 5k in April i wasn't quite ready for and so walked a little of it but not much. The next one I ran the whole thing. I felt so accomplished. I kept training for the 10k but could seem to push past the 3mile mark. My body just got too tired. Everyone I talked to that runs said it is all in my head and I should push past it. I started to get discouraged that I couldn't push past it. I really actually didn't even run once in the last 1 1/2 weeks. I was just going to have to walk some of this 10k. I was okay with that too. At least I can say I finished it right?
Well come to find out my friend that got me to do this race never signed up for it so I was all alone in this. I wanted to have someone that I knew there with me but I didn't. I almost just said forget it I probably cant do it anyway I haven't trained well enough.
The night before race day I had to work. We didn't get out of work till 11pm. Then I had to shower and get all my stuff ready for the race. I knew if I didn't have it I would be late. So I got to bed around 12:30ish. I had to get up at 4:40am the next day. I knew I was going to be tired but it is what had to be done. My alarm went off and I was up, tired, groggy but up. I got dressed got everything ready to go and took off. My family said they would come out in time to see me cross the finish line. That is really what I needed, someone that I could look for in the crowd. Someone that expects me to finish and will cheer me on. I get up to the Research park by the U and cant find anywhere to park! AGH! it is 5:55am and the race starts at 6. I finally just parked across from sunnyside ave and ran to the race. HA yeah silly I know. They started late I guess cause I still had 1-2 mins before the race began. I was in the back and there were so many people there. We took off and I jogged trying to find someone that ran the same pace as me so I could just follow them or run by them. I couldn't find someone that ran my pace they were either in my way or too fast. So I just listened to the music on my ipod and kept running. The down hill part was the easiest and at the beginning, of course. I gave up just before mile 3. I was tired and my legs were starting to hurt because we just had climbed a little hill. (WAY LITTLE) so I walked for like a minute. But I couldn't keep walking everyone was passing me and I felt good enough to start running again. I passed mile 3, mile 4, and mile 5. I had never got this far before. I could feel blisters forming on my feet but I only had a mile left and couldn't give up now. There was all the parade people watching. So I kept running. It really didn't feel all that hard until the last 1/4 mile. It was more uphill slightly and I was starting to feel how tired I really was. But I made myself continue I could see the finish line so it wasn't much more than I can stop. I am looking everywhere for a familiar face but I didn't ever see one. I passed the finish line and looked at the time clock 1:05:55 I was amazed I thought it would take me at least an hour and a half. Sweet! I did it and not a bad time for my first time ever. I wanted to fall over and never get up. My legs felt like noodles. I still had to find my family but I didn't make a plan where to meet them at. So I stood there and waited till someone found me. My sister found me about 10min later. :( they had just got there and didn't even see me finish. I was a little sad to hear that no one saw me finish. But I did it ant that is what mattered.
Well day after the race I am so sore. My legs are tired, I have blisters on my feet, etc. I would do it again though because it was something I wanted for me and no one else.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Crystal!! What an accomplishment. You have alot of determination!! I wish I could be so disaplined.(spelling?)
YAY for Crystal!!

Springer Family said...

That is so great! Way to go! I hate to run but know I need to. I bet you felt great after!

RCA said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/informasi-biaya-dan-perhitungan-bunga-kartu-kredit-bni