Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hiking


So on Friday my family went hiking for my mom's birthday. We decided to go try a new trail up Little Cottonwood Canyon called Red Pine Lake Trail. I had hiked some of it earlier this summer but there was too much snow to complete the hike so we tried again this time. It was a nice day we didn't leave until I got off work at 230 so it was more of an evening hike. The sun was bright and hot but up in the mountains its wasn't too bad. We climbed for about 2 hrs and then rested, most of the kids were really tired and didn't want to hike much more but Michael had gone ahead of all of us the entire hike and we couldn't just leave him. We ran into a couple that was coming down from the lake and they said we had at least another hour before we would reach the lake. They suggested we don't try to finish the climb because that would put us close to things getting dark on the climb down. So my Mom and I decided to hike ahead and find Michael while the rest of the family ate their sandwiches and rested. This was adventure in its self. I ran ahead until the incline got steep then I climbed as fast as I could. Can we say big mistake! I got so tired and had to rest to catch my breath. My Mom caught up with me and then I just kept things at her pace so I wouldn't tire out too much anymore. It was a steep climb and just when I thought I would give up we found Michael. He was just chillin by the creek and said he had been sitting there for about 20-30 mins. We headed back down and man my legs were so tired that when I stood still my legs would shake just a little. (So morale of the story do try to run up a hill, lol!) We all got back to the car and went home. We had a lot of fun but next time I think it would be go to leave earlier in the day and just make it a all day event. Then you can take all the breaks you want and need. I would suggest this hike to anyone without little children.I hope you enjoy some of the pics we took (well the kids took them with my phone while I was out looking for Michael)

No comments: